Monday, September 8, 2008

College!





Monday was my first day of school! I stayed up late Sunday night finishing an english assignment and had to get up early for my first class, Book of Mormon. At 7:45 AM! Crazy, I know! My teacher was really nice and loves to tell stories. So I then had 15 minutes to hobble over to the Smith building from the Hinkley building. I got so lost! When I finally found it it was 9:10. I was going to be 10 minutes late. Not that bad. Then I realized that my class room was on the 4th floor. So it took 5 minutes to climb those stairs (cause I forgot about the elevator). When I finally got to my classroom, I opened the door and there was no one there! I walked around the floor two times and found a lady at the foreign language department. She sent me walking around the floor again. I came back and told her that my class started 30 minutes ago and that I had no idea what to do. She called some people and got ahold of my professor. I then had to walk 10 minutes to his office where there was another girl who had the same problem I did. Apparently there was a room mix-up so my professor let everyone out after he gave the assignment. I got my assignment and started working on it with Kristi, my partner from texas (the girl who I mentioned above). We spent hours taking pictures and trying to come up with a motto. Our best pic is a grasshopper. Who would have thunk? I then had American Foundations. My teacher is hilarious and the class is huge! We had our first FHE activity tonight too! I'm in the 41st ward and everyone is really nice. We ate, met the bishop and his counselors, and played ultimate frisbee. So much fun!

7 comments:

Ian N. Service said...

Yeah Kayla! It is official you are a freshman student and late for class! Good start!

I still can't believe you have a class before 9am - let alone - a 7:45 am! Crazy I tell ya!

Whitney said...

7:45 a.m. classes . . . I had some of those . . . I wonder what they were . . . hum.

I am so super giddy for you to be at college! I am just dying to hear about all the great times you are having and about your FHE brothers! :)

Love you SO MUCH!

Marci said...

Kayla,

Thanks for updating your blog! I love the temple picture. Take care of your knee. One more day of constantly wearing that immobilizer!

Mom

Jay Wanless Southwick said...

Hmmm.... that picture of the temple looks familiar. I wonder where it could be from? Maybe from your Grandpa's back yard?

I'd love to see the photo of the grasshopper. Good luck to you and Kristi on your project.

Love, Grandpa

THE BANGARTS said...

You just described the nightmare that I STILL have. Being in school, being late, not knowing where my classes are....but my dreams are of high school and I can never remember my locker combo. Drives me nuts.

7:45am? I only know what that time looks like because I have a daughter that makes me get up that early, otherwise 10:00am is when the sun rises in my house!! GOOD LUCK and have so much fun! Good job on the pictures!

Natalie Service said...

I'm in the process of asking Ian if I can go up to Rexburg for the couple weeks, rend a golf cart, and be your designated driver around campus! No one should have to walk that far. I'll even be your elevator button pusher for that matter. Seriously, did you FREAK out when you FINALLY got up the the 4th floor only to see that NO ONE WAS THERE???? I can just see you - double check the room number, double check your printed out schedule, double check the room number next to the room that you think it should bee, stare blankly for a good three seconds, look for another printed out schedule in your backpack, go to the stairway to make sure you're on the right floor, look into the room one more time to see if it's full of people this time, I know! I know! I hate that feeling!!!

But you survived - and have a GREAT story to tell because of it! And I'm so excited to hear more stories! Great ones!

WE LOVE YOU!!

Jennybug said...

I have same locker combo dreams too! I'm so excited for you to be at school! If you EVER need anything, remember my parents both work on campus and they will totally help you out. My dad is the Text buyer for the bookstore, Ches Blackham. My mom is in the Cashier's office, Stephanie. Both easy places to find--and hopefully hobble to! Hope your knee feels better soon!